This old stand by is a crowd please as well as a good food prep item. Requires little effort and no specialized equipment. Although a beer can rack and a grill are recommended. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 5-4.5 lb Chicken
- 2 TBS canola oil
- Weber Beer Can chicken spice blend (Or your preferred chicken spice blend)
- Half can of beer
- 3 cloves smashed garlic
- Set your grill up for indirect cooking. For example, we used a charcoal grill, so the coals were stacked to only 1 side of the grill.
- Remove chicken from its package and using paper towels, pat the skin dry.
- Coat the chicken with the canola oil, making sure it covers evenly.
- Now liberally dust the chicken with the spice blend, cover completely ( I like to season the inside of the chicken as well)
- With the beer opened and half drain, smash your garlic cloves and drop into the beer can along with ½ tbs of your seasoning.
- Carefully lower the chicken over the beer can (Here’s where the rack helps)
- Transfer the bird to the cool side of your prepared grill
- First cook for 20mis, then quarter rotate every 15 mins until the internal temperature of the breast reaches 162-166.
- Once the proper temperature is reached, carefully remove chicken and place on a baking sheet. Allow chicken to rest upright 10-15 mins before lifting off the can rack.
- Quarter and serve!